Shop Service Manager
Job Title: Shop Service Manager
Reports to: Store Manager
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Under the direction of the Store Manager, the Shop Service Manager will oversee the bike department repair shop at Bird Legs Bicycles. The Shop Service Manager will lead a team of bike builders/mechanics in a high-volume shop and will be responsible for work-flow, quality assurance, shop processes, and staff training/development. We seek a Service Manager who can maintain a positive work environment for customers and staff, while handling a high volume of work in an organized, efficient, but flexible manner. We are looking for a proactive leader to contribute to the growth and evolution of this department. The ideal candidate will have solid management and communication skills, a strong background in the bike industry, and the ability to teach and develop staff. Experience creating and implementing new processes is a plus. As with any position at Bird Legs Bicycles, we are seeking a dependable person that hustles, and works well with customers and co-workers. Candidates must be willing to work weekends and evenings.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Lead service team in all bicycle and store service functions - this includes a high volume of new bike builds, walk-in repairs, and tune ups/checked-in repairs.
- Manage all aspects of repair work-flow: intake, job prioritization, service part order management, timely completion and QA of all work. Accountable for associated paperwork and communications with customer for each job.
- Responsible for safety, cleanliness, and appropriate stocking of tools at work stations.
- Oversee inventory and re-ordering of parts stock for repair work, special orders for jobs. Provide feedback to store buyers on bike lines and other products.
- Provide front-line customer support, including assisting on the sales floor when needed.
- Provide ongoing technical coaching to mechanics and sales staff, train new staff.
- Work with floor staff and manager to help manage new bike build order and replenishment.
- Assist with general store tasks including the following: opening/closing of store, resolving customer service/POS issues, participating in community/marketing events and ongoing staff meetings to improve department and company.
- Interview, hire, train new candidates for service shop
Experience and Qualifications:
- 3-10 years of mechanical experience in a professional shop environment
- Technical expertise and the ability to service a wide range of bicycles (industry certification is a plus, but not required)
- Rich product knowledge of bicycles, components, accessories
- Strong interpersonal skills for positive staff interactions and top-notch customer service
- Enthusiasm for serving a wide range of customers (brand new riders to seasoned cyclists)
- Proven ability to manage a team
- Technical “guru” status and cycling enthusiast ideal!